Tuesday, May 26, 2020

More Splintered Light Minis!

Okay, y'all are probably tired of reading about Splintered Light stuff by now. I promise after this I'll post something different and interesting. But I ordered from them again, and got some really nice stuff. I ordered the orc warband and female adventurers set. Quick review time!

I'll start with the orcs, as they're the most numerous. There are a lot of them, so I won't take too many pictures or bore with too many details. It was $28 USD, and I got 3 archers, 2 guys with greataxes, 2 guys with two weapons, 6 guys with weapon & shield, two leader sorts (one with a big sword and one with an axe and whip), two wolf cavalry with weapon & shield, a wizardly fellow, a shamaness, a savage orc leader with two stone axes ("savage" of course being furs, loincloths, and stone weapons), 3 savage orcs with spear & weapon, 4 with two weapons, a savage orc drummer, and 3 standard bearers (one regular, two savage.) All the same level of quality I saw from the goblins and kobolds, but much greater variance in size between the models; some of them are quite large, while others are no bigger than the goblins. I suspect these sculpts came out at different times; scale creep is a thing. Anyway, here's a couple quick shots of some of the examples:

Left-right: two swords, shamaness, leader with whip, savage with two hander, savage banner bearer

Greataxe, archer, savage with club, leader with sword

For scale: two swords, greataxe, goblin archer, savage with greatclub

As you can see, nice minis, but the scale creep is definitely there. Still, it's another excellent deal, with some really solid, well made miniatures.

The female adventurers pack was sort of an impulse buy. I was only going to get the orcs, but while browsing the catalog, I saw how cheap they were and thought "Screw it, I'll tack it on." $4 USD gets you four miniatures: a human/elf cloak & dagger type, a dwarf with a hammer and shield, what looks to be an elven spellcaster (but could just as easily be any human-sized race at this scale) and a human with heavy armor and a big horkin' greataxe.





Nice models, and a nice little add-on for the purchase. A buck a model isn't bad, and the difference between a $28 purchase and a $32 one is so insignificant compared to what value I'll be getting that it wasn't really much of a question.

One final note: I got an unexpected refund from Splintered Light after the purchase. I sent them an email asking why. Normally, Splintered Light has a flat shipping rate of $7 anywhere in the continental U.S. Well, I heard back from David McBride (I assume he's the grand poobah of the company) and he told me that when he shipped the models, the shipping was closer to $4, so he refunded me the difference. $3 isn't very much at all, but it's a nice touch, and a really respectable bit of honesty. So yeah, I continue to be impressed with this company. If you need 15mm fantasy models, go buy from them!

No comments:

Post a Comment